The Nymph and Fawn sculpture is possibly the only sculpture attributable to Mackie, as he was primarily a painter. It was commissioned as a garden sculpture by John James Cowan in 1914 and cast in lead.
Over the course of time and exposed to the elements, the armature had failed, causing the nymph to collapse onto the fawn and the sheltering leaf to drape itself over the figures. Sections of the bodies were cut away to provide access panels and the old core material and armature were removed. The two figures were then reshaped with a new stainless steel armature fitted to hold them in their correct positions. Missing pieces were remodelled, cast and attached to the figures, the sculpture was then coloured using coloured waxes and installed in the National Museum of Scotland.