Hall Conservation Ltd


  • The hammer currently

  • Detail of original lettering and date

  • Moving parts clogged with paint

  • Working drawing of a similar hammer



Project Information

The steam hammer is sited at the entrance of the Nasmyth Business Centre, Green Lane, Patricroft, Eccles. Appropriately it is directly opposite the site of Nasmyth’s Bridgewater Foundry where the hammer was originally made in 1851 for the Elscar colliery workshop, where it remained in use for over a century.

Hall Conservation Ltd was commissioned to carry out a condition survey, provide treatment and presentation options and assist in the fund raising. Plans are in hand to landscape the area, provide the hammer with weather protection, refurbish the mechanics and present it as a working object.