Tottenham War Memorial stands on Tottenham High Road. It was unveiled in 1923 to commemorate those who lost their lives in the First World War. It received Grade II listed status in 2002.
The memorial consists of a bronze statue of a laurel-crowned angel with outstretched wings holding a wreath symbolising peace. The statue is mounted on a tapered, square Cornish granite shaft from Kit Hill quarry, Callington.
Paul Latham and his team at LAM Associates researched the original details of the monument when it was first constructed and unveiled in 1923. Local newspapers from the time were useful sources of description, detail, and photographs. Paul discovered for example that bronze paint had been added at some later point and that the original finish of the bronze angel was a darker colour that would have been “full of life and interest to the eye.”
We’re delighted that the completed work on the memorial by Paul Latham, LAM Associates, and Hall Conservation was highly commended in the ‘Building Conservation’ category of the 2017 RICS awards.